Do you know what the worst part about being a food blogger is?
Other food bloggers. And not in the bad way. I mean, in the way that there are too many recipes and not enough meals!
I may have to start taking my queue from the Hobbits in the Lord of the Rings series and start having breakfast, brunch, elevensies, lunch, onesies, afternoon snack, and all the other meals that Hobbits eat. Of course then I may be about 5,000 pounds and couldn't move around the kitchen to cook.
When I found out about food blogging it was through some communities on my livejournal page. I had discovered a couple food communities, one being food_porn. In this community I found the amazing food blog Crepes of Wrath by the beautiful Sydney.
This girl makes some of the most amazing looking meals that I've ever drooled over. One of these was this recipe for bacon wrapped pork chops with sweet sliced apples and onions. This meal is positively delicious.
The combination of flavors in this meal is heavenly. When I made it the first time I was at my father's house. I cooked this with some roasted sweet potatoes and rosemary olive oil and sea salt potatoes like Sydney suggested. My stepmom and I literally camped out on the stuff!
As the pork, apple, onion, and butter cook this juice is created in the bottom of the pan. Well, let me tell you how good this meal is. It's so good that my stepmom would not let me throw out that juice after all the meat was gone. Instead, she ate the juice as a soup.
When The Hubble came home from Afghanistan and I told him about this meal he was skeptical. Then I made it for him and he became a believer.
If I haven't convince you yet. If you are still a skeptic. I challenge you to try it! And you should definitely head over to Sydney's blog, The Crepes of Wrath to check out all the other amazingly delicious recipes she's cooked up!
Bacon Wrapped Pork Chops with Apples and Onions
Adapted from Crepes of Wrath
- 4 medium-sized pork chops
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 2 medium apples, cored and sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 large yellow or white onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice apples thinly and place them in the bottom of an 8×8 pan.
- Sprinkle two teaspoons of brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of sage over the apples.
- Top that with the sliced onions. Sprinkle the cubed butter over the onions.
- Wrap the bacon tightly around the pork chops. Place them on top of the onions and apples, and bake for 30 minutes. (Sydney stated 15 minutes on each side but every time I've made them I've had to cook them a lot longer)
- Take the pan out and flip the pork chops over on the other side, then bake for another 30 minutes, until the bacon is lightly crisp. (If bacon is still soggy place under broiler for a few minutes until it browns and crisps)
- Serve the pork chops with the apples, onions and plenty of juice from the pan.
- Pair with roasted potatoes or some kind vegetable and enjoy!.