Thursday, July 8, 2010

Spanish Rice


I don't know if you know this about me but I love the Mexican/Hispanic culture. I love the food, the language, the food, the colors, the food, the lifestyle, and did I mention the food?? I love it so much I went and married myself a half Mexican half Puerto Rican Texas born and bred Hellraiser. Oh yeah baby!

Thanks to my love of The Hubble I also came to love his family. I have gotten so many recipes from The Hubble's mom that it's not even funny. She has helped me build my Mexican food making skills and I love her all the more for it. The only problem was the Spanish rice. Spanish rice has been my nemesis for years. Though I love to eat it, I just could not for the life of me get the technique right! I tried over and over again. I called my mother in law in tears. I tried so hard to perfect Spanish rice and it just eluded me at every turn.

Until now.

This last year I had the opportunity to live in the same city as my in-laws and I went to their house for dinner often. And when I say often I mean like 5 out of 7 days of the week! One day I saw her pull out the makings for her delicious Spanish rice and I asked her if I could hover over her shoulder and watch and learn how she makes her rice. Her being the most amazing mother in law ever said yes.

I made this the other night for The Hubble and I asked him to check to see if the rice was done. He opened the pot and exclaimed "this looks just like my mom's rice!" He proceeded to take a bit and whoop with joy shouting "it tastes just like my mom's rice! Amazing!"

I guess what I'm saying is that I finally conquered the Spanish rice. And I'm here to share with you how I did it:


Simple ingredients: an onion (diced), a cup of long grain rice, some tomato sauce, and a little oil. Not pictured is the water and either salt and pepper or if you are like me, garlic salt.


Heat up a little oil in a large skillet and toss in the rice.


Stir constantly until the rice turns a nice golden brown.


Remove the rice to a paper towel lined plate. At this point you want to grab the sides of the paper towel (kind of like a hammock for the rice) and roll the rice from side to side to drain off any excess oil.


Now back to the pan. Heat a bit more oil then add your onion. Cooking about 3 to 4 minutes until the onion is translucent.


Now take a big serving spoon and pour a heaping spoonful of tomato sauce in with the onion.


Add back in your rice.


Pour in the water.


And season with salt and pepper or garlic salt. Taste the juice and make sure it has enough seasoning. Make sure it's well seasoned since it will soak into the rice. You want it flavorful.


Bring the whole thing to a boil. Then cover, reduce heat, and allow to simmer about 20 minutes...


Or until all the water is absorbed.


Fluff with a fork...


Serve and enjoy! If you stay tuned I will show you what I paired my Spanish rice with!

Spanish Rice

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup long grain rice
  • 2 Tablespoons oil
  • 1 serving spoon tomato sauce
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cups water
  • salt and pepper (or garlic salt) to taste
Method:
  1. Heat one tablespoon oil in large skillet.
  2. Add rice to oil and stir constantly until golden brown. Remove to paper towel lined plate and roll around to remove excess oil.
  3. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in pan; add onion and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent.
  4. Add tomato sauce, rice, water, and salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Bring mixture to a boil; cover and reduce heat. Allow to simmer about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
  6. Fluff with fork, serve, and enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails