Sing it with me now...
I like big bundts and I cannot lie! You other bakers can't deny!
This is one big bundt cake. And I love it!
It's been a while since I've been able to bake with my Facebook Baking Group but I'm so happy to have gotten back into the swing of things with this cake.
One of the members of the group found this recipe in her local newspaper and she shared it with the group.
The cake can be made into a couple loaves and be shared with friends, but I chose to make mine in my bundt pan because...well...you know why. ;-)
This cake was super moist. The bourbon (I used Jim Beam) gave it that little something extra. I loved the texture of so many pieces of pecan throughout the cake. And hello! You can't have a big bundt without a glaze!
This cake would be a beautiful addition to your holiday table. Or shared with friends and neighbors.
No matter why or how you enjoy this cake...just enjoy this cake. You won't be sorry!
Cream together the butter and sugar.
Mix in the egg yolks.
Stir in the extracts, butter flavoring and bourbon. Yeah baby!
Mix in the flour a bit at a time.
Beat the egg whites until stiff and gently fold them into the batter.
Then stir in some nuts.
Sprinkle more nuts in the bottom of the bundt pan.
Then pour the batter over the nuts. Smooth it out and sprinkle with more pecans.
Bake that baby up until a tester comes out clean then let it cool.
Throw together your glaze, pour it over the cake and top with a bit more of the pecans for garnish.
Slice, serve, enjoy!!
Bourbon Pecan Pound Cake with Bourbon Glaze
Printer Friendly Version
For the cake
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 9 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 cups chopped pecans, divided, plus more for garnish
For the glaze
- 2 cups powdered
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon
- 7 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 10-12 cup bundt pan with baking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, on medium high speed, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks and beat until well incorporated.
- Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, the butter flavoring, and the bourbon.
- Mix in the flour a half cup at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a separate, medium metal mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold half a cup of egg whites into the batter to lighten. Then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites until well incorporated.
- Stir in 1 cup of the pecans.
- Sprinkle 1/2 a cup of the pecans in the bottom of the bundt pan. Pour the batter over the pecans and smooth out with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of pecans evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 1 1/2-2 hours or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Make the glaze: stir powdered sugar, bourbon, and cream together until well incorporated.
- Pour glaze over the top of the cake allowing it to fall down the sides. Sprinkle a bit more of the pecans on top of the glaze. Let stand 10 minutes or until set.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!!