Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oatmeal Scotchies


Today I want to talk about stepchildren.

And not just stepchildren, but red-headed stepchildren.

What I want to know...is when and how did red-headed stepchildren get such a bad rap??

I, personally, love red-heads.

I've chosen to be one for years since my mother failed me and didn't help me be born as a natural red-head.

And from what I understand, stepchildren are not all that bad.

So why? Why is it that red-headed stepchildren are always forgotten or left out??

Now, let's talk about the red-headed stepchild of the cookie world.

I would say that it is the oatmeal cookie.

Now, many people have heard about oatmeal raisin. And, sadly, oatmeal raisin cookie are not as beloved as chocolate chip (don't ask me why, I've always preferred the oatmeal raisin over chocolate chip...but I've also preferred red-heads over blondes).

Let's go one step further and say the poor, forgotten orphan child (probably red-headed as well) of the cookie world is the oatmeal scotchie.

I don't know how many times I've mentioned these (one of my most beloved cookies EVER) and I am met with blank stares.

How could people not have heard of these??? They are amazing!

Oatmeal scotchies are your basic oatmeal cookie with butterscotch chips in place of raisins.

The butterscotch chips give the oatmeal cookie a whole new dimension of flavor.

So please, for me, if you have never tried (or heaven forbid heard of) these cookies, please go make them right now!

They are super easy to make and the recipe can be found on the back of any bag of Nestle Toll House Butterscotch Morsels.

If you make these, I promise you won't regret it. And if you do...you never have to come back here!

But seriously, don't take my word for it...try them and figure out for yourself what you have been missing all this time!

Here's how you can make them...


Gather your ingredients: all purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, butter, old fashioned oats, and butterscotch chips.


Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.


In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until combined.


Gradually beat in the flour mixture.


Stir in the oats and the butterscotch chips.


Until everything is well combined.


Drop the dough in rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet.


Bake to your desired doneness, 7-8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9-10 minutes for crispy cookies (I personally like the chewy ones.)

Cool on the pan a couple minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.


Serve and enjoy! I like mine with a glass of milk.

Oatmeal Scotchies
Retrieved from Nestle


Printer Friendly Version


Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
  • 1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) Butterscotch chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
  3. Cream together the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer.
  4. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
  5. Stir in oats and butterscotch chips.
  6. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased or parchment lined baking sheets.
  7. Bake for 7-8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9-10 minutes for crispy cookies.
  8. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
  9. Serve and enjoy!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails