Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Guest Post: The Tale of Two Kitchens

One of the things I love most about the blogosphere is the connections I have made with people I would have never known otherwise.

My favorite part of the military spouse blog community is the fact that spouses of different military branches can come together and share our histories and stories with no animosity.

So far I have had guest posts from a Marine wife, an Army wife and today I am introducing you to Jessica, and Air Force wife.

I 'met' Jessica through her blog Jesstagirl and Her Officer.

I was more than thrilled when I found out Jessica was creating a food blog with her sister in law.

Jessica and her sister in law are new to the food blogging world but I think they are fabulous and I think you will too. You should definitely jump over there and check them out...after you read her guest post.

It's all yours Jessica!



I am so excited and honored to be guest posting for Maranda on Jolts and Jollies. I'm always so excited whenever she posts a new recipe, because I know her recipes are easy to make and delicious. My sister-in-law and I recently started a cooking blog called The Tale of Two Kitchens, and I'd love for you to check it out—after this recipe, of course! 

This recipe has been in my family for years—I can't remember a New Years where my mom didn't make this black-eyed pea salad. Black-eyed peas are supposed to be eaten on new year's day for good luck in the coming year. But truth be told, I typically eat this several days after January 1st, because I'm usually too busy and always forget about it on New Year's Day. I like to think the black-eyed peas will bring good luck whenever I eat them.

This salad is full of fiber, flavorful, and is perfect to keep in the fridge for a quick, filling snack. The flavor of the salad gets better with time, so don't be surprised if you find yourself eating a huge bowl days after you make it.





In a medium pot, combine frozen black-eyed peas, salt, vegetable broth, water, sugar, jalapeno pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.


Turn off heat and allow peas to cool in the cooking broth for two hours or overnight before finishing salad.


There should be about ¼ cup of cooking liquid left in the kettle. Discard the bay leaf and dice jalapeno (optional).




Stir tin cider vinegar and olive oil into the cooking liquid. Add green pepper...




Tomato...




Green onion and jalapeno (optional).





Toss to mix; serve chilled or at room temperature.


Black-Eyed Pea Salad
by Jessica Lynn from The Tale of Two Kitchens


Ingredients:
  • 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen black-eyed peas
  • 1/4  teaspoon salt
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 jalapeno, rinsed but left whole
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
  • 2 green onions
Directions:

  1. In a medium pot, combine frozen black-eyed peas, salt, vegetable broth, water, sugar, jalapeno pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
  2. Turn off heat and allow peas to cool in the cooking broth for two hours or overnight before finishing salad.
  3. There should be about ¼ cup of cooking liquid left in the kettle. Discard the bay leaf and dice jalapeno (optional). Stir tin cider vinegar and olive oil into the cooking liquid. Add green pepper, tomato, green onion, and jalapeno (optional). 
  4. Toss to mix; serve chilled or at room temperature. 
Related Posts with Thumbnails