I believe I've mentioned this before, but I love snickerdoodles.
There is just something about these cookies that really do it for me.
I think maybe it's the tang from the cream of tartar??
Or the sweet and spicy combo of the cinnamon and sugar.
Who knows, but every time I see a new snickerdoodle recipe, I have to try it.
I was shopping at a hardware store recently and I ran across this book:
Once I started flipping through it, I landed on these snickerdoodle croissant cookies. Then the next page had snickerdoodle sandwich cookies! WHAT??? Yes, please!!
So I threw the book in my cart (check out the bottom of this post to see what that means for you).
I made these cookies within days of bringing home this book and I am definitely not disappointed in my purchase.
Though these cookies don't have the traditional snickerdoodle taste, that's okay. Each cookie is it's own being so I need not judge this one based on a childhood favorite.
I need to allow this cookie to become a favorite too!
The cookie had a soft crumb with a lovely texture from the nuts. And of course, the cinnamon and sugar. But hey, we one upped that and threw in brown sugar! I love brown sugar.
Okay, okay. I'll stop talking about how good these cookies were and just let you make them yourself.
Cream together the cream cheese and butter.
Toss in the brown sugar and vanilla, mix that up.
Add the flour until well combined.
Separate the dough into 3 portions and flatten them into disks. Cover and chill for an hour.
While the dough is chilling, have an impromptu photo session with your sous chef.
Preheat your oven. Then on a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough, sprinkle on the filling, then cut into 12 triangles.
From the widest edge, roll the cookies and place them on the cookie sheet. Bake them up then let them cool. Top with powdered sugar immediately before serving.
Serve and enjoy!!
Snickerdoodle Croissant Cookies
Adapted from Very Merry Cookies
Printer Friendly Version
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- Fat free milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, on medium high speed, cream together the cream cheese and butter for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, the vanilla, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add the flour and mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Divide dough into thirds. Flatten each dough portion into disks. Place between pieces of parchment paper and place in a large plastic zipper bag. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, the cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each disk of dough into 9 inches circles.
- Lightly baste each dough circle with milk.
- Evenly sprinkle the pecan mixture over each disk of dough, coming about 1/2 an inch to the edge.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, slice each circle into 12 triangles.
- Starting from the wide end, roll each triangle into a croissant shape.
- Place shaped dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet about an inch apart.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom of the cookies.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Sift powdered sugar over the cookies immediately before serving (if desired).
- Serve and enjoy!!
Now it's time for the giveaway!! You know you want to try these cookies. Well, I want you to try these cookies. So what did I do?? I grabbed a copy of the cookbook for you as well as me! Aren't I just the bee's knees??
THIS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED
How to enter:
(Leave a separate comment for each entry)
1. Answer this question: What is your favorite holiday treat? Include an email address in this comment.
2. Follow Jolts & Jollies through Google Friend Connect or RSS feed
3. Like Jolts & Jollies on Facebook
4. Follow @mannadonn on twitter
5. Tweet about this giveaway (can be done once per day). Include: a link to this blog post and @mannadonn in the tweet.
6. Post on Facebook about this giveaway (can be done once per day). Include: a link to this blog post and @Jolts & Jollies in the post.
This giveaway will end Monday, November, 28th at midnight (CST) and the winner will be announced on Tuesday, November, 29th. Good luck!!
So there you have it SEVEN ways to enter to win this giveaway!