Friday, November 11, 2011

Buttermilk Pancakes with Maple Syrup


I. Love. Breakfast.

But not the quick, cereal type breakfast.

I love sitting down for a nice, well made breakfast.

My favorite thing to do is on a Sunday morning, wake up and go out for breakfast. Mmmmm....breakfast.

This year, on Mother's Day, I decided to make a huge brunch for the mothers in my family. I invited my mother, my sisters, and my niece. It was a beautiful spread and I had made so much food that we ended up having to call the dads over as well to help us eat it all. LOL!

Now, Sunday breakfast has become a sort of tradition. My family will come over and I will make them breakfast. Right now we are stuck on eggs in a basket. But we were enjoying these pancakes pretty much every Sunday for a month or two.

When I ran across this recipe for buttermilk pancakes, I knew instantly that I needed to try them. And I did.

Seriously, it was every Sunday! I would make double, triple, and finally quadruple batches just so I could freeze the leftovers and have them available until the following Sunday. They are that good.

For JerBear and Little Butt I added some chocolate chips to part of the batter. They are very smitten with them, let me tell you.

And of course, what are pancakes without homemade syrup?? It just so happens that I had a copy of the syrup recipe my grandma used to use. So I made syrup.

You just can't get better than homemade buttermilk pancakes with hot syrup.

What really pleases and surprises me is that this recipe actually doesn't take very long.

So grab some buttermilk and your family together and let's have breakfast!


Get the syrup cooking so it can be done by the time the pancakes are done. Heat some water and sugar in a saucepan. Add some maple extract. Bring it to a boil then leave it alone so it can cook.


Whisk together your flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.


Whisk together the buttermilk and eggs then add that to the dry ingredients.


Mix in the butter then let it sit while the griddle heats.


In 1/4 cup increments, pour the batter onto the hot skillet and cook them up.


Top with some extra butter (for good measure) and some of your maple syrup.


Serve and enjoy!!


Buttermilk Pancakes
Retrieved from Liv Life

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled; plus more for serving 
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 
  • 2 cups buttermilk 
  • 2 large eggs 
  • Vegetable oil for the griddle 
  • Maple syrup for serving (recipe follows)

Directions:

  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. 
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk gently until the dry ingredients are almost incorporated; stop before the batter is evenly moistened. 
  4. Add the cooled melted butter and mix just until the batter is evenly moistened (there will be lumps). 
  5. Let the batter rest while you heat the griddle.
  6. Heat a griddle or a large skillet over medium heat (I set my electric skillet to 325 degrees F) until drops of water briefly dance on the surface before evaporating. Lightly oil the griddle. 
  7. Working in batches, pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle for each pancake, spacing them about 1 inch apart. 
  8. Let cook undisturbed until bubbles rise to the surface and the edges look dry, 1 to 2 minutes. Check the underside of each pancake to make sure it’s nicely browned; then flip. Cook until the second side is nicely browned, about 1 minute more. 
  9. Transfer the pancakes to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven (set oven to 200 degrees F) while you repeat with the remaining batter.
  10. Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!!

Maple Syrup


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoons maple extract
Directions:
  1. Combine water and sugar in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Stir frequently until sugar dissolves.
  2. Stir in maple extract and allow mixture to come to a boil. 
  3. Reduce heat to medium low and allow to simmer, undisturbed, for about 20 minutes. 
  4. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Related Posts with Thumbnails