Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Grandma Horvath's Chocolate Chip Cookies


So I know y'all already know about my weird cookie tastes right??

I tend to prefer oatmeal over any other type of cookie.

I have never been a chocolate chip cookie kind of girl.

And when I say never...I really mean NEVER.

We would order cookie cakes for my birthday and I would get oatmeal raisin while the rest of my family got chocolate chip.

Knowing that, imagine my shock when I went to my friend C's house and tasted her grandma's chocolate chip cookie...right then and there I dubbed it the BEST chocolate chip cookie I've ever eaten.

C sent me home with a baggie of cookies that night, which I refused to share with Little Butt or The Hubble.

The next time I went over, she had made me an entire batch of cookies!!

I then had to twist C's arm and hold her head in the toilet to get her to give over the recipe.

Not really...but I did send out a Facebook message threatening her bodily harm if she didn't share the recipe soon because my stash was getting dangerously low.

So, being the great friend she is (and being slightly afraid of what I might have done to her) she complied and emailed me the recipe.

I proceeded to make my own batch for a cookout recently.

We decided to try to let Spring know we are ready for its arrival by making the first Gangsta Burgers of the year.

Every person who bit into a chewy, chocolatey morsel did indeed dub them the best chocolate chip cookies ever!

I think it's a combination of no butter, heavy brown sugar and a full teaspoon of salt that makes these cookies so magical.

I suggest you try them...and let me know if you DON'T like them. I dare you!

Here's how you can throw together your own:


Grab your ingredients: All purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar. baking soda, salt, pure vanilla extract, vegetable shortening, eggs and chocolate chips.


Cream together the vegetable shortening and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.


Add eggs and vanilla, mix until combined.


Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.


Add flour mixture to batter, mix well.


Add chocolate chips (and nuts, if using).


Drop in 2 Tablespoon balls onto cookie sheet.


Bake in 375 degree F preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet a few minutes.


Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.


Serve and enjoy!!

I'll have you know, after the cookout, and allowing the guests to grab some cookies for the road, those four that you see there was all I was left with.


And you better believe I enjoyed them. All. By. Myself. :-D

Grandma Horvath's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips
  • 1 cup nuts (optional)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Cream together vegetable shortening and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add vanilla and eggs, beat until well mixed.
  4. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
  5. Add flour mixture to batter, mix well.
  6. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
  7. Drop in 2 Tablespoon balls onto cookie sheet.
  8. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
  9. Cool on baking sheet a few minutes, transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
  10. Serve and enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails