As the weather turns chilly and Summer turns into Fall, my thoughts always turn toward the holidays.
How could they not?? With the annual release of the pumpkin spice latte and walking through stores decked out in holiday garb, it's no wonder that I begin to think of the fun times and family visits ahead.
One of my favorite holidays is Thanksgiving (insert "duh" here).
Yes, yes...I know. Thanksgiving is supposed to be a time of thanks. Of being with loved ones and being grateful for everything life has given us. But I choose to focus on what is most important about Thanksgiving. The food!
One of my favorite things to make for Thanksgiving dinner (and any other pot luck, get together or finger foods type meals) are these sweet green bean bundles. My friend Wendy brought these for a pot luck dinner a few years back and I've been making them ever since.
To be honest, I don't usually like vegetables. But when they are smothered in butter and brown sugar and wrapped in bacon I just can't resist myself! What pushes these little guys over the edge though is the hint of garlic salt. Yum!
Do you want to learn how to make these?? Well let's go!
These ingredients are simple: bacon, brown sugar, garlic salt, butter, and 3 cans of green beans.
Start by draining the juice from all the cans of green beans.
Now take your package of bacon and just cut it right down the middle.
Gather up about 7 green beans and wrap them in one of those half slices of bacon.
Place the bundle in a 9x13in baking dish and repeat until all the green beans and bacon are bundled up and placed in the dish.
Now toss a stick of butter in a small saucepan and melt it down.
Once the butter is melted, toss in your brown sugar.
Stir continuously until all the brown sugar dissolves and the butter and sugar are well incorporated. You should be left with a yummy looking sauce.
Now quickly pour that sauce over the green bean bundles making sure each bundle gets nice and sauced.
Now sprinkle some garlic salt on top of the glazed bundles.
Cover the dish and bake the whole thing for about 45 minutes. (NOTE: If the bacon is not crispy enough for you when the cooking time is complete, turn on the broiler for a few minutes to brown and crisp the bacon).
When it's done, you will have this sugary, buttery, bacony, melty, crispy, delicious treat either for eating by themselves or as a side with one of your favorite dishes. Enjoy!
Sweet Green Bean Bundles
Retrieved from Allrecipes.com
Printer Friendly Version
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans whole green beans, drained
- 1 pound bacon, cut in half
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain green beans.
- Cut bacon in half.
- Wrap 7 green beans in a half slice of bacon and place in 9x13inch baking dish repeating until all bacon and or green beans are used.
- Melt butter in small saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and stir continuously until sugar dissolves and butter and sugar are well incorporated.
- Pour sugar and butter mixture over green bean bundles.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. (NOTE: If the bacon is not crispy enough for you when the cooking time is complete, turn on the broiler for a few minutes to brown and crisp the bacon).