Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Grandma Wilson's Never Fail Pie Crust


Do you have someone who inspired you to cook? I do. It is my Grandma Wilson.

When I was little, me and my sisters would spend every summer at my Grandma's house in Oklahoma. We always had a blast and some of my best childhood memories are from those summers. My grandma passed away about 10 years ago and I still miss her (and her cooking) every day.

My older sister were talking on the phone recently about my Grandma's homemade pies. My sister ended up looking through my mother's recipe box and finding a few recipe cards that looked as if they had been written some time ago. One of those recipes she found was for my Grandma's never fail pie crust. I immediately ran into the kitchen to make this crust!

I don't know where the recipe originated from but I do know it is good. It's flaky and light and perfectly delicious and I want to share it with you!


The ingredients are simple! All purpose flour, salt, distilled white vinegar, vegetable shortening, and an egg. You will need a bit of water as well.


In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.


Toss in your shortening...


Cut the shortening into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter.


It's supposed to look like a cornmeal consistency but it was way humid and for some reason I decided to do this right above a running dishwasher so mine was pretty moist. That's okay though. It still turned out yummy.


Put the egg in a separate bowl and beat it well.


Dump the egg into the flour and shortening mixture.


Now dump in the water and vinegar.


And mix it until it combines well into a sticky dough.


Now either separate it into 2 large or 3 small balls. Place the ball of dough (one at a time) between two pieces of parchment or wax paper.


And roll it out. If you are planning on using it later, just roll it out slightly, place it in a freezer bag and freeze.


But if you are planning on using it immediately, roll it out all the way and use as you will.

(NOTE: if preparing pie crust bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes)

Grandma Wilson's Never Fail Pie Crust

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup vegetable shortening (I used Crisco)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large, well beaten egg
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
  • 5 Tablespoons water
Directions:
  1. Whisk together flour and salt.
  2. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter until well mixed.
  3. Add egg, vinegar and water; mix well to combine.
  4. Roll into 2 large or 3 small pie crusts.
  5. Bake in preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Related Posts with Thumbnails