Monday, June 20, 2011

Lime Chiffon Cake



Do you ever just feel defeated??

Defeated by life?

Like, no matter what you do you just can't seem to get ahead??

That's kind of how I feel lately.

It just seems like I keep getting punched in the gut every which way I turn.

I don't know if I've talked about our car issues here...but let's just say, in the last 2-3 months we have had to spend at least $3500 on both of our cars. Things just keep breaking.

Well...I found out today that The Hubble's car needs another $750 part to make his sunroof close AND his check engine light is on now. Will it ever end???

To top it all off, my good friend Monica and I decided to bake together this past week. I know, how is that bad right?? Just wait...

See...Monica and I are both members of a baking group called The Cake Slice Bakers.

Each month, the members of the group vote on which cake we will be making. This month, there was a tie for the Fresh Strawberry and White Chocolate Cake and the Lime Chiffon Cake. Both sounded amazing so we decided we would each bake one of the cakes, half them and have the best of both worlds. Perfect right??

We thought so.

Until the cakes were done anyway.

And we realized my cake was a complete failure!!

I don't know if my cake failed because I was in a rush, nervous about baking with someone else for the first time, or because I had never made a cake like this before. But either way, I let down my end of the bargain. I got half of the strawberry cake and Monica got crap.

See...Monica made this cake:

Jump over to Monica's Blog for the recipe.

Isn't it beautiful?? I agree! 

And this is what Monica got to take home:


Look at what a poor, shriveled up, little old man of a cake he turned out to be. He just looks so sad. And he tasted like egg. Not lime...egg.

I couldn't let this be it. 

I needed to try again! 

So I did. And the second time the cake came out gorgeous!!! And delicious! 

The cake was light and airy, with just enough weight to make it feel like you are eating cake and not just air. I added a powdered sugar and lime juice glaze to give it that extra kick and that turned out to be a great choice!

I'm so glad I tried again, but I'm sorry that Monica didn't get to try this fantastic cake. I hope this failed attempt doesn't put her off of baking with me in the future.

Anyway...let me show you how to properly make this cake. Let's get baking!


Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.


In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and whole eggs until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.


Slow and steady, pour in 1 cup of the sugar while the mixer is still running. Beat until light and increased in size, about another 5 minutes.


Now, slowly pour in the oil while the mixer is still running. Beat for about another minute.


In an alternating fashion, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, add in 1/3 of the flour at a time...


Followed by 1/2 of the lime juice and water mixture. Get it?? 1/3 flour, 1/2 juice, 1/3 flour, 1/2 juice, 1/3 flour. I knew you had it!


Stir in the lime zest and vanilla.


In a separate and clean metal bowl, using clean beaters, whisk the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar then beat until the egg whites turn...well...white. Then slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar while continuing to whisk the whites. Beat until stiff peaks form.


Fold in 1/4 of the whites into the batter to lighten. Then gently but thoroughly fold in the remaining whites into the batter.


Pour the batter into the pan, make sure it's smooth and even on the top.

Then bake until it's golden and springs back when touched.

Invert the pan and cool it immediately out of the oven.


And because I can't just let things go (and I know you want to see it again) here is my sad excuse for a chiffon cake again.


Attempt number 2 came out so tall, so regal, so majestic. Just beautiful. Top that baby with a tart glaze...


Slice, serve and enjoy!!!

Lime Chiffon Cake
Retrieved from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/3 cup cake flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 7 large eggs, 5 separated, 2 left whole
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons lime zest
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/3 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 4 Tablespoons (more or less) lime juice
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Have a 9-inch ungreased tube pan with a removable bottom ready. (My tube pan doesn't have a removable bottom so I lightly greased JUST the bottom of the pan)
  2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside
  3. Beat the eggs yolks and whole eggs in a large mixing bowl until lightened in color, about 3 minutes.
  4. With the mixer running, add 1 cup sugar in a slow, steady stream and continue to beat until the mixture is light and increased in volume, about 5 minutes longer.
  5. With the mixer still running, slowly pour in the oil and continue to beat for 1 minute longer.
  6. Combine the lime juice and water in a measuring cup. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture 1/3 at a time, alternating with the juice and water mixture 1/2 at a time, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice as necessary.
  7. Stir in the lime zest and vanilla.
  8. With clean beaters and a clean metal mixing bowl, whip the egg whites on medium speed until frothy.
  9. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until the egg whites begin to turn white.
  10. With the mixer still on medium speed, pour in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a slow, steady stream and whip until the whites hold stiff peaks.
  11. Fold 1/4 of the egg yolk mixture into the whites to soften. Then fold the egg white mixture into the batter, gently but thoroughly. (I folded 1/4 of the whites to the batter to lighten, then folded in the rest of the whites to the mixture).
  12. Pour the batter into the tube pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake the cake until it is golden brown and the top springs back when you touch it, 55 minutes to 1 hour.
  13. Remove the pan from the oven. Immediately invert the pan and allow it to cool. If your pan has 'feet' invert it onto a heatproof surface. If your pan does not have 'feet' invert the pan onto 4 upside down heatproof glasses on the counter. This allows air to circulate around the cake while it cools. Let the cake cool in the pan completely, about 2 hours.
  14. To remove the cake from the pan, run a knife around the edges and middle of pan, being careful to leave the golden crust intact. 
  15. Invert the pan onto a serving platter. If your pan has a removable bottom, use the knife to release the cake from the bottom of the pan. 
  16. Make the glaze (optional): stir the powdered sugar and lime juice until desired consistency. Pour it over the top and sides of the cake. (I used about a cup of powdered sugar and the juice from 2 1/2 limes. If too runny, add more powdered sugar. If too thick, add more juice.)
  17. Slice, serve and enjoy!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails