I walked into the local grocery store the other day and guess what I saw??
That's right! Peaches!!
Seeing those gorgeous peach and golden orbs got me so excited. I started thinking of everything I could do with peaches.
One of my favorite things to do with peaches is make peach and yogurt parfaits.
I also remembered a great bread recipe that I had made last year, right before peaches went out of season.
I had found this recipe through my good friend Sarah and I knew immediately I had to make it.
Like everything I was making back then, I sent it off to work with The Hubble.
Those Army guys devoured this bread and couldn't stop exclaiming about how good it was.
The bread is moist, flavorful and sweet.
It's perfect for and early morning breakfast or for an after dinner treat.
Here's how you can make it:
Place the peaches in boiling water for about 30 seconds to a minute. Remove them with a slotted spoon and dunk in ice water. This should make them easier to peel. Peel them up...
And place them in a colander. Once they've cooled enough you can mash them up with your hands and let most of the juice drain out of them while you continue the other parts of the bread.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until well combined.
Cream together the eggs, sugar and shortening.
Now mix in the peaches and vanilla.
Then the dry ingredients.
Fold in the nuts.
Pour half the batter in two loaf pans.
And bake them up.
Now slice it up and serve. Enjoy!!
Retrieved from Life Is Still Sweet
Printer Friendly Version
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups mashed peaches (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place peaches in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove from water with slotted spoon and dunk in ice water. Make a criss cross cut at bottom of peach and peel off the skin. Place the peaches in a colander over the sink and mash with hands (remove pits). Allow peaches to drain while putting together the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on medium high speed, cream together sugar, eggs, shortening.
- Add peaches and vanilla mix thoroughly.
- Add all dry ingredients to wet and stir lightly until incorporated.
- Fold in nuts.
- Divide batter into 2 greased loaf pans (9x5).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. Slice, serve and enjoy!!!