Thursday, February 10, 2011

Crockpot Green Chile Pork


If you are looking at the picture above you may be thinking "is this girl out of her mind?? That doesn't look appetizing."

I totally understand. Yes, it's a putrid green color. I know.

But please, please, please...if you have never trusted me before...trust me now!

This stuff is good.

And when I say good...I mean G-E-W-D!

I've been trying to find my groove since getting back from our 3 week vacation.

Yes. I do know that it's already mid-February and I've been back for a month!

Even The Hubble decided he couldn't stand it anymore and FINALLY unpacked my suitcase last night. But not before telling me that we have been home for a month now and my suitcase was still sitting there.

I can't help it! I left sunny, warm, beautiful Texas and came back to snowpocalyse iceamageddon.

I've been cold, and I don't like it!

But! I have finally gotten up off my kiester and gotten back in the kitchen.

And if it makes you feel any better, this dish has definitely inspired me again.

I thought for sure it was going to turn out awful...I felt like my culinary skills would never return to me.

I was scared to taste this.

Like I said...it ain't pretty!

But when all was said and done, I stood over the crockpot, lid in my left hand, fork in my right. It smelled amazing. Surely it couldn't taste that bad right??

I twirled the pork around my fork like pasta. I brought it to my lips and took the plunge.

Then...

I did that whole "eyes roll into the back of your head this is SO good" thing.

Then I took a few more bites. I had to force myself to stop.

I went to my phone to send The Hubble a text message saying that I wished he was here because OH. MY. GAWD! This stuff was good! (The Hubble was in class by the way).

Luckily, there was a text from him saying he was on his way home. So I called him immediately and told him to hurry because he HAD to try this stuff!

When he walked in the door, his first comment was how good the house smelled (how many more times do you think I can work in the word 'good'??)

I hovered behind his shoulder as he took his first bite...then I watched him do the same eye roll thing.

We quickly served up dinner...

Then just as quickly served up seconds.

This meal is so easy it will make you cry. And it's so insanely delicious (good???) that it will make you want to slap your mother! (Which reminds me of that chicken sandwich commercial. You know the one, don't you?)

Okay. So please go forth and make this meal! Then come back and tell me who you ended up slapping because of it. I'll take the credit.


Ingredients: boneless pork tenderloin (a pork shoulder would be really good too), an onion, green chile enchilada sauce, green chiles, hominy, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Too easy!


Slice up your onion and toss it into the crockpot.


Place the pork on top of the onion. Then sprinkle with a little salt, some pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. I didn't measure, but you can see the amount of seasoning I used on the pork. Do this to your own taste.


Now dump in the enchilada sauce and all the cans of green chiles.

Cook with the crockpot on low about 6-8 hours. The pork should be fully cooked and super easy to shred.


Shred that pork. Then dump in the hominy, juice and all. I only used one can with this recipe but I think it could definitely use another can.


Serve it up with some tortillas, crusty bread or The Hubble served his the next day with cheese and tortilla chips. Any way you do it...enjoy!!

Crockpot Green Chile Pork

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 2 lb boneless pork tenderloin or pork shoulder
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 can Las Palmas green enchilada sauce
  • 4 cans chopped green chiles
  • 1-2 cans hominy
  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
Directions:
  1. Slice onion and toss into crockpot.
  2. Place pork on top of onion; sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
  3. Dump in enchilada sauce and green chiles.
  4. Cook on low 6-8 hours or until pork is thoroughly cooked through and shreds easily.
  5. Shred pork.
  6. Add hominy (with juice), cook 5 minutes more.
  7. Serve with tortillas, crusty bread or tortilla chips. 
  8. Enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails