A friend of mine recently had lap band surgery and has been on clear liquids for the last three weeks. Finally she was able to eat slightly more solid food. So I made her some homemade tomato soup. I don't have any pictures of the step by step instruction but I can tell you that this soup was souper good! LOL!
All the ingredients were fresh and ripe. I had never made homemade tomato soup before but it was surprisingly easy and it turned out delicious.
I served mine with a dollop of ricotta cheese, some fresh ground pepper and I crushed a few Ritz crackers onto the top (which I don't have a picture of).
While I was making the soup, Little Butt was eating dinner and talking to me. The next thing I know, I look over and...
The poor thing had fallen asleep eating dinner. I had to pick her up and go lay her down on the couch where she took a good nap. What a good little helper she was!
Anyway. Here's the recipe. I got it from a Good Housekeeping Soups & Stews cookbook:
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- garlic clove, crushed with garlic press
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 1 can (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth (I used low sodium broth)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup water
- snipped chives (optional)
- Melt butter in 5-quart Dutch oven over low heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot and cook until tender (about 10 minutes). Stir in garlic and thyme and cook for an additional minute.
- Add tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and water; heat until boiling over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 45 minutes. Tomatoes will break up and mixture will thicken slightly. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
- Spoon 1/3 of mixture into blender and puree until smooth. Place in separate bowl and repeat with the rest of mixture 1/3 at a time.
- Soup can be refrigerated and served cold or placed back in Dutch oven to reheat and serve hot. Sprinkle with chives immediately before serving, if desired.