Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ginger Lime Poundcake


I'm scheduling this post ahead of time because I'm just so dang excited about this cake and I didn't want you to miss it!

At this point, we should be on our last leg to Texas. We will hopefully be in our new house tonight (cross your fingers for us!!).

This month, for the cake slice bakers, the group chose the cold-oven cream cheese pound cake.

The original recipe called for lemon zest. But me being me (and being preggo with crazy taste buds) decided that this cake sounded better with lime. I mean, come on...ginger lime. Say it with me: ginger. lime. There ya go!

Speaking of being preggo...have you heard the news?? Check out THIS POST to find out Baby N's gender! But finish reading about this cake first!

Now, when I told my Older Sister what I wanted to do, she basically called me crazy (maybe not in so many words but I definitely heard it in her voice).

But I just couldn't get over the idea of ginger and lime in a pound cake!

I bought fresh ginger for this cake as well, but didn't end up using it. Ground ginger is one of my favorite little bottles to pull out of my spice cabinet. There's just something about that sweet, yet tangy, yet fresh flavor that I just can't get over. I tend to over do it with the ground ginger in my Asian dishes as well.

I think my love affair with ground ginger just might rival that of my love for garlic salt...but maybe not. LOL!

I have made this cake twice so far. I made some adjustments the second time that just blew away me and my guests (meaning, I added a bit more lime juice than I did the first time).

Honestly, this cake is shocking. It is heavy. Yes...I said heavy. But only when you hold it in your hand. When you take a bite, the crumb is so light and fluffy, you would never know it was a dense pound cake.

The lime in this cake definitely brings out everything that is beautiful about ginger.

This cake is a contradiction in and of itself. It is light and fluffy but heavy. The flavors are bold and intense while still being subtle and unassuming.

This cake will probably go down in history as being one of my favorites...EVER!

And I truly cannot wait to make it again.

Oh, and I have to say, when I made it with the glaze, I only used 1/2 a cup of powdered sugar and 2 Tablespoons of lime juice. But the consensus was that the cake could definitely use more glaze. I have altered that in the below recipe.

I hope you make this cake. It is a perfect Spring and Summer cake. It is gorgeous and delicious. Plan this one for your next picnic. Please????

Here's how you can have it in your kitchen as well:


Grab your ingredients: cake flour, cream cheese, butter, salt, sugar, vanilla, lime, eggs and ground ginger.


Throw the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger in a bowl and give it a mix.


Cream together the butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes.


Add the eggs, one at a time and scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition.


Mix in the vanilla...


And the lime juice and zest.


Now add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition. After the last addition, beat for 30 seconds.


Pour it into a prepared Bundt pan.


Bake it up until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes...


Then invert it onto a cooling rack. Isn't it pretty?!?!? Let it cool completely.

PS. This is the very first cake that I made in my brand new Nordicware Anniversary Bundt pan. The pan is just stunning as are the cakes it makes!


And if you are so inclined, whip up a glaze of powdered sugar and lime juice. Drizzle it over the top of your cake.


Then slice this puppy up, serve it and enjoy!!!

Ginger Lime Pound Cake
Adapted from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

For the cake

  • 3 cups cake flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 6 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 Tablespoon grated lime zest
  • 1 Tablespoon lime juice
For the glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 3-4 Tablespoons lime juice (depending on desired thickness)
Directions:
  1. Adjust the oven rack the the lower-middle position. Grease a 12-15 cup Bundt pan with baker's spray.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and ground ginger in a medium mixing bowl.
  3. Cream together the butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
  4. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
  5. Beat in the vanilla, lime zest and lime juice.
  6. Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down sides of bowl after each addition. After last addition, mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
  7. Place the cake in a cold oven, Turn the oven on to 325 degrees F and bake, without opening the oven door, until the cake is a golden brown and a toothpick inserted int he center comes out clean, 65 to 80 minutes.
  8. Once the cake is completely cool, make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and lime juice to the desired consistency. Add more sugar for thicker glaze or more juice for thinner glaze. Pour the glaze over the cake so it spills over the edges of the cake.
  9. Slice, serve and enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails