Monday, April 11, 2011

Elote (In a Cup)


Before I get into this recipe...I need to tell you. When you are moving in less than 3 weeks...your freezer should definitely NOT look like this:


And your pantry should absolutely look NOTHING like this:


Well....if you really want to get into it. Your pantry should NEVER look like that in the first place.

I mean. It looks like a freaking slob lives in a house with a pantry like that!

And yes, if you notice...there is so much stuff that it doesn't even all FIT in the pantry and has to reside on TOP of the pantry. Ugh!

And let's not even talk about how the freezer is so full that the sorbet has to hang out in the ice bin.

Yeah...

But!

We've been making good progress in the last week. I took those pictures about a week ago. Now we have a little under 2 weeks to go until we move and the freezer looks MUCH different now.

We just won't talk about that pantry.

So, this week, you will be getting a couple recipes that we have enjoyed because of our ever pressing need to clear out that freezer and chucking as little as possible.

Not to say that we wouldn't have enjoyed these dishes anyway...we just rushed along the process a bit.

And there's NOTHING wrong with that. ;-)

So...on to the recipe!

The first time I tried elote (pronounced EEE-low-tay) was at The Hubble's parent's church Summer festival. The Hubble's dad was in charge of the beer booth so, naturally, we helped sling beer for a couple nights over a weekend.

This was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had. I mean...serving beer to people who are getting increasingly drunk all the while listening to the band play.

Now, let me also mention, this was in El Paso, Texas where Mexican influence reigns king.

So...much of the time, the band was some version of mariachi music. That's fine by me.

At the end of the weekend, all the volunteer staff and church employees grabbed some beer, margaritas and cups of elote and sat around chatting and laughing.

It was fabulous!

I had never tasted anything so delicious in my life as that elote. It was corn in a cup, yes. But it was drenched in this creamy, buttery sauce, cheesy, heavenly sauce. You grab a cup, toss in as much chili powder as you can handle and some lime juice for good measure, grab a spoon and go to town!

When wracking my brain for ideas to use up the stuff in my freezer, I ran across a package of corn on the cob. I thought what better time than now to make my own elote!

I will tell you that I went heavy on the mayo and The Hubble was not thrilled. He claimed that all he could taste was the mayo. I loved the dish and think he's crazy.

However, I am pregnant and my taste buds could very well be wonky. Therefore, in the recipe I indicated a smaller and larger measurement for the mayo. You can decide from there which way you want to go.

I will also say that I like heat. When I'm not trying to convince myself I should have been born Italian, I'm telling others that I'm really an honorary Mexican. I mean...I married a half Puerto Rican, half Mexican man...shouldn't that count for something???

Anyway...to make a long story even longer by now...if you don't like too much heat, I would scale back on the chili powder and cayenne pepper. Maybe half them??

Either way, any way you make this is going to be amazing. Trust me. You know...or don't. Like I said, my taste buds could just be wonky.

But did I mention The Hubble doesn't like cheese??? I'm not really sure he can be trusted ya know??

On to the recipe!


Gather your ingredients: corn, mayo, butter, chili powder, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, lime juice and cotija (or parmesan) cheese.


Melt your butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.


Mix in the corn until it's well coated with the butter.


Mix in the mayo until well incorporated. Let it start bubbling.


Toss in your spices. Mmmm...spices. Mix them all in.


Then dump in your cheese and stir until it's all melty.


Now let that bad boy boil. Stir it occasionally. But you want those fats from the butter and mayo to separate and create this delicious sauce. Once you have that...you are golden!


Serve it up in a cup with a spoon! Toss in more cheese (and or spice) if desired. And enjoy!


Elote (In a Cup)

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups whole kernel corn (drained if using canned)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
  • 1/4-1/2 cup mayo (depending on desired creaminess)
  • 1/8 cup lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup crumbled or shredded cojita cheese (can sub parmesan)
Directions:
  1. Grill or heat corn as desired.
  2. Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium high heat.
  3. Add corn and stir to coat well.
  4. Add mayo, mix well. Bring to a boil.
  5. Add lime juice, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
  6. Add cheese, stir until melted.
  7. Bring mixture to a boil. Allow to boil, stirring occasionally, until fats separate and a 'juice' forms; about 5-8 minutes.
  8. Serve in a cup. Add extra cheese, lime or seasonings as desired. Enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails