Friday, April 15, 2011

Buffalo Turkey Sandwich (With Ranch)


If you remember, on Monday, I mentioned how full our freezer and pantry were.

We've been making some really great progress in clearing out that stuff...though not nearly enough progress!

I really like to shop at Sam's. And that whole concept of leaving within two months does not deter me from stocking up.

I think it stems from growing up in a household of about 9 or 10 people.

We always needed to stock up!

While at Sam's, we tend to grab a 3 pack of turkey deli meat. I usually make lunch or breakfast sandwiches and sometimes wraps with this lunch meat.

However, one day, The Hubble came home for lunch with some hoagie rolls, shredded lettuce and provolone cheese. He said he "wanted to try something."

I guess he had been to a sandwich place at the PX and watched them make his buffalo chicken sandwich. He figured, why pay $9 for one sandwich when he could make a bunch for the same price!

So when we looked in the freezer and saw that 3 pack of meat and thought about our looming deadline, we decided it was sandwich time!

Seriously, this sandwich is SO good.

I actually never liked buffalo wings...until I got to NY that is. See...down South, I realize, they make their buffalo wings with Tabasco. Yuck! I do NOT like Tabasco.

However, New York introduced me to my new love...Frank's Red Hot. And my oh my does Frank do buffalo right!

Here's a funny little story...when we moved to New York we kept reading on menus that buffalo wings were served with Blue Cheese dressing. Neither myself nor The Hubble like Blue Cheese. Being true Southerners, we asked for Ranch instead of Blue Cheese every time. And every time, the server would look at us like we each had 2 heads and mention that we must not be "from around there."

I'm sorry...are my [Southern] roots showing???

Anyway.

Make this sandwich.

Make this sandwich today.

And smother it in Ranch! (or Blue Cheese if you're into that sort of thing)

Okay, okay. Enough with the blabbering. Let's get cooking!


Ingredients: deli sliced turkey meat, Frank's Red Hot, provolone cheese, butter, tomato, shredded lettuce, hoagie rolls and Ranch!


Toss your turkey and butter into a large skillet over medium-high heat.


Go ahead and slice your tomato quick while you let that meat cook. I like to slice mine then cut it in half for the long hoagie roll.


Cook the meat until the turkey is heated through and slightly browned and the butter is melted. Make sure you  coat the turkey well with the butter.


Now pour on the Frank's and stir it all up.


Top with the provolone slices and allow to melt.


Separate into two (somewhat), even helpings. Then complain to The Hubble that you feel as though you are being shafted and one side is bigger than the other.


Then ensure that the bigger portion goes on your roll (I like my roll toasted, The Hubble likes his soft out of the bag).


Top that bad boy with lettuce, tomato and the dressing of your choice...as long as it's Ranch!


Then serve that baby up with some kettle cooked chips and a pickle spear. Enjoy!!!

Buffalo Turkey Sandwich

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 9 ounce package deli sliced turkey breast
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
  • 4 slices provolone cheese
  • 2 hoagie/sub rolls
  • lettuce
  • tomato, sliced
  • Ranch (or Blue Cheese) dressing
Directions:
  1. Place turkey and butter in large skillet on medium-high heat until butter melts and turkey heats through and browns slightly; about 5-8 minutes, stirring constantly to fully coat turkey with butter.
  2. Add Frank's Red Hot, stir to coat. 
  3. Place provolone evenly over the top of the turkey meat, let sit until melted.
  4. Separate meat and cheese mixture into two even servings. Spread evenly over hoagie rolls.
  5. Top with lettuce, tomato and dressing.
  6. Serve with chips and a pickle spear. Enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails