Thursday, June 23, 2011

Peach Cake


I am a lover of fresh fruit. It's true. You put fresh fruit in front of me and I get super giddy.

Lately, Little Butt and I have been eating watermelon like nobody's business.

And let me tell you, eating that much watermelon at 7 1/2 months pregnant does not help in the bladder issue if you know what I mean.

But what can I do?? I love the stuff!!

I also love fresh cherries, apricots, kiwi, STRAWBERRY (my favorite) and, of course, peaches. What is your favorite fruit??

A few weeks ago, I picked up the June issue of Food Network magazine because it had a bunch of different hot dogs on the cover. If there is one food I can NEVER pass up, it's hot dogs. Especially straight off the grill. Just the bun and the dog and I'm happy.

Oh my gosh...focus! This is not about hot dogs. Silly girl!

This is about a thick, fluffy, coffee cake-esque, cake with sliced, fresh peaches. YUM!

Anyway. I was looking through the magazine and I came across this recipe for peach cake. I knew immediately I had to make it. I have baked with fresh peaches before and was more than excited to bake with them again. But this time, in cake form.

So I bought some peaches and the rest of the ingredients I didn't have...and time got away from me. My peaches started to turn and I ended up using them for something else.

But I still had this cake in the forefront of my mind so I bought peaches again. And this time I would not let them go without making this cake.

I am so glad I made this cake. It does taste like a coffee cake with sliced peaches strewn throughout it. It's both light and hearty. It can be enjoyed on a Sunday morning for brunch or a Tuesday evening as an after dinner treat.

If you want a taste of summer, I highly recommend you make this cake at your earliest convenience.

Let's bake!


Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.


Cream together your butter and 1 cup of the sugar.


Add your eggs and keep beating.


Now dump in the sour cream and vanilla; mix. (Please ignore the black specks...I'm using homemade bourbon vanilla a friend gave me for Christmas and I'm reaching the bottom of the jar where all the vanilla bean specks lie)

Now slowly mix in the dry ingredients.


In a separate, small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and remaining half cup of sugar.


Evenly spread half the batter into the bottom of your pan.


Layer with half the peaches.


And sprinkle 2/3 of the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the peaches.


Evenly spread the remaining half of the batter over the peaches. Be careful!


Then top with the rest of the peaches, cinnamon sugar and the pecans. Bake it up until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Pull it out, let it cool.


Then slice it up and serve it. Enjoy!!!

Peach Cake
Retrieved from Food Network

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 large ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x9 inch baking pan with baking spray.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the beater on medium high speed, cream together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
  4. With the mixer on low, beat in the eggs, one at a time. 
  5. Then mix in the sour cream and vanilla, mix until the batter is smooth.
  6. Slowly add in the dry ingredients, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary, and mix until just combined.
  7. In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar.
  8. In the pan, spread half the batter in an even layer. Top batter with half the peaches and 2/3 of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Carefully spread the leftover batter over the peach layer. Top with the remaining peaches, cinnamon sugar mixture and the pecans.
  9. Bake the cake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  10. Allow to cool slightly or completely.
  11. Slice, serve and enjoy!!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails