Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Soup


Guess what, guess what!!!

It's finally cold here!

What?

I've been waiting!

I mean, after living in Upstate New York for so long, it's crazy to me that it was 60 degrees here...in November!

Well, while we were away for Thanksgiving Mother Nature took that time to figure out her shiz and straighten up. You go girl! It's about freaking time you figured it out...

That's what happens when you drink on the job. ;-)

When the weather turns cold, people tend to start thinking of soups and stews to fill the belly and warm the soul.

That's all well and good....if you like soup.

Here I go again with my craziness...

For as long as I can remember...I didn't like soup.

I just wasn't a soup person.

It wasn't that I didn't want to be...it just didn't appeal to me.

Last year, when I was living in Texas, my mother in law convinced me to just try her soup.

I fought her on it a bit but eventually caved. I couldn't turn her down (or away).

So I tried the soup.

Upon my first bite, the stars aligned and I suddenly knew. I knew what soup was about. It was like a whole new world opened up to me.

A world full of soup!

So when the weather turned cold (finally!) I immediately set out to make my favorite soup.

And now I am going to share with you this magical (and incredibly easy) soup.

I will tell you...do you remember the green chile chicken enchilada casserole?? Yeah. Imagine that in liquid form. That gives you this soup.

Try it!

Here's how.


Grab your ingredients: boneless skinless chicken breast, 1 can of Las Palmas green enchilada sauce, 3 cans chopped green chiles, onion, 3-4 potatoes, salt, pepper, shredded mozzarella and tortilla chips.


Place 4 quarts of water into a large pot. Toss in the chicken and boil until the chicken is completely white. Once the chicken is cooked completely, remove from the pot and let cool. Do not dump the water!


Chop the potatoes and onion into large chunks.


Now, you should still have a pot of hot, chicken flavored water on the stove top. To that you want to add the potatoes, onion, all 3 cans of chopped green chiles and the enchilada sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.


While the potatoes are cooking, shred the chicken. Once the potatoes are tender, add the shredded chicken back into the pot. Let cook another 5 minutes.


Now it's time to start assembling your bowl of soup. Take some chips and break them up into the bottom of your bowl.


Toss in a generous amount of shredded cheese.


Top the chips and cheese with the soup. Serve and enjoy!!

Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Soup

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 4 quarts water
  • 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; shredded
  • 3-4 large potatoes; chopped into 2 inch cubes
  • 1 large onion; chopped into 2 inch cubes
  • 3 cans chopped green chiles
  • 1 can Las Palmas green chile enchilada sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • shredded mozzarella cheese
  • tortilla chips
Directions:
  1. Place water and chicken in a large pot. Boil until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken from water, allow to cool then shred.
  2. Place the potatoes, onion, chopped green chiles and enchilada sauce into the pot of boiling water. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  3. Add back in shredded chicken. Cook 5 minutes more.
  4. Break up chips into the bottom of serving bowl. Top chips with cheese. Ladle hot soup over chips and cheese. 
  5. Serve and enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails