Monday, December 20, 2010

Cranberry Cake


Seriously!

I know I've said this several time already...but can anyone else believe how FAST this year has flown by???

I mean, we are at the END of December.

That means we are at the END of this year! WTH???

Well, with the end of the year comes our time to hit the road again.

I am now working my way through Texas on a 3 week road trip.

I figured that instead of leaving Jolts & Jollies all alone while I'm traipsing around Texas, I would find some people to help keep Jolts & Jollies company.

And find them I did!

I am so excited about all the fabulous guest bloggers who have agreed to share some of their recipes with us.

I hope you enjoy all the guests that I have lined up as much as I do. There is definitely some yummy stuff headed your way!

But before they can come and play, I am sharing with you one of the last things I baked before I hit the road, again.

This cranberry cake was the December pick for the Cake Slice Bakers group.

I had to make this cake twice. The first time I had only allotted enough baking time as the recipe called for. Unfortunately, in my oven, the cake needed MUCH longer than what the recipe indicated.

I had to pull the cake out before the toothpick came out clean and it was a mushy mess when I tried to cut into it. Sad! It got tossed.

But I never admit defeat!

So I started again. This time I baked the cake a bit longer than the recommended time then bumped up the oven to a higher temperature and baked it a while longer (this is all explained in the recipe below).

The second time was a huge success!

The cake had the perfect mixture of sweet and tangy, soft and crunchy. All the opposing tastes and textures complimented each other well and made a wonderful holiday-esque cake.

I'm glad I decided to try this cake again. I would have been left disappointed if I hadn't. And who wants that??

Want to learn how to make it? Let's get baking!


Gather your ingredients: unbleached all purpose flour, salt, granulated sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract, butter, sliced almonds, light brown sugar, eggs and fresh cranberries.


First we are going to make the streusel topping. In a small bowl, add the almonds, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Work the ingredients together with your fingers, breaking up the almonds, until large crumbs form. Place this in the fridge until you are ready to use it.


Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.


In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed until light and increased in volume, about 5 minutes.


Now turn the mixer to low and slowly pour in the melted butter. Increase speed to medium and beat for another 2 minutes.


Then stir in the vanilla.


In 1/2 cup quantities, gently fold the flour mixture into the sugar and egg mixture until all the flour is added and everything is incorporated.


Then carefully stir in the cranberries.


Scrape the batter (it will be thick, almost like cookie dough) into a greased 10 inch springform pan. Evenly spread out the batter using a spatula.


Take the streusel topping out of the fridge and sprinkle it on top of the uncooked batter.


Bake the cake until golden and the toothpick should come out clean.


Allow to cool in the pan about 10 minutes. Release the sides of the pan. Using a large spatula, remove the cake from the bottom of the pan and place on a cooling rack. Cool completely.


When cool, cut the cake into wedges...


Serve and enjoy!

Cranberry Cake
Retrieved from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

For the Streusel

  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
For the Cake:
  • 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch round springform pan.
  2. Make the streusel: combine the almonds, 2 tablespoons butter and brown sugar in a small bowl. Work the mixture between your fingers to form large crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  3. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. 
  4. Combine the eggs and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until the mixture is lightened and increased in volume, about 5 minutes.
  5. With the mixer on low, add the butter in a slow stream. Turn the mixer to medium speed and beat for another 2 minutes. 
  6. Stir in the vanilla
  7. Gently but thoroughly fold in the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time.
  8. Stir in the cranberries.
  9. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
  10. Sprinkle the streusel over the batter.
  11. Bake the cake until it is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 1 hour to an hour and 10 minutes (mine took 1 hour 20 minutes at 300 degrees F then another 15 minutes at 325 degrees F until the toothpick came out clean)
  12. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Release the sides of the pan and use a large spatula to slice the cake from the pan bottom to a wire rack. Cool completely.
  13. Cut into wedges, serve and enjoy!
  14. Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Related Posts with Thumbnails