Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mini Pumpkin Beignets with Spiced Sugar


Do you ever get inspired by comments on your blog posts?

I hadn't up until I shared my pumpkin donuts.

On that post, my girl Ingrid made this comment:

"I like pumpkin! :) 

My mouth is watering . They look and sound good especially with a spiced glaze? Yes, please. 

Hmmmm, I wonder if I made these beauties for the kiddos they'd stop begging for your banana beignets! Manna, I kid you not EVERY day Devon asks me for them, which gets his siblings asking."


Thinking about the mini banana beignets I made while looking at pumpkin donuts definitely got my wheels spinning.


I decided I wanted to try my hand at making a pumpkin beignet. Yum!!


So me and my idea went to Google. 


I started by looking up regular beignets hoping I could just modify. I found this recipe but didn't want to wait for yeast to rise. I wanted something quick and easy.


Then I typed in pumpkin beignets and found a blog called French Revolution that had posted these pumpkin beignets


They looked amazing to me so I quickly set about making them.


They were as quick and easy as I was hoping. And they tasted amazing!!


When The Hubble took a bite of a freshly fried and sugared beignet he looked at it thoughtfully. Then he told me it was like eating deep fried pumpkin pie.


Spending much of my childhood in the South...that sounded heavenly to me! I mean...who could turn down deep fried pumpkin pie?!?! 


I loved these so much that I'm going to shared them with you today!


Again, my beignets aren't the most gorgeous things. They aren't perfectly round. But they sure are tasty. And SO worth the small amount of effort.


So let's get to cooking!


Place about 3 inches of canola oil into a large pot or dutch oven. Heat to 325 degrees F.




First up! Grab your ingredients: flour, brandy, golden brown sugar, butter, pumpkin, ground cloves, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, eggs and granulated sugar (not pictured here because I spazzed out and forgot it).




In a medium sauce pan toss in the pumpkin, brandy, 6 tablespoons of water, brown sugar, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves and 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger. Cover and cook over medium low heat until the butter melts, stirring occasionally.




While the pumpkin mixture is cooking we can get the spiced sugar ready. In a small shallow bowl, combine the granulated sugar and the remaining teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves and 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger. Mix well to combine.




When the butter is all melted and the pumpkin mixture is ready, remove from heat and dump in the flour all at once. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture is well combined. Return to the heat and continue stirring until the 'batter' pulls away from the sides of the pot; about 30-45 seconds. Remove from heat and place in a large mixing bowl. 




Stir the mixture around in the mixing bowl until it cools. Once sufficiently cool, add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between each addition.




Until all the eggs are added and the batter is well mixed.




Drop about a teaspoon of rounded batter into the hot oil and let cook until golden brown; about 1-2 minutes on each side depending on heat of oil.




Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.




While still warm, roll the beignets through the spiced sugar mix until well coated.




Place on another plate to cool.




And unless you have willpower made of steel...go ahead and grab one and take a bite. Then marvel in the deliciousness that is deep fried pumpkin pie. 


I was thinking just now, if you want to take these up a notch...you could probably add some graham cracker crumbs to the spiced sugar. Yum!!!


Enjoy!


Mini Pumpkin Beignets with Spiced Sugar
Adapted from French Revolution


Printer Friendly Version


Ingredients:


Beignets:

  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons Brandy
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 3 tablespoons golden brown sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • 6 tablespoons water
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 3 large eggs
Spiced Sugar:
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions:
  1. Place about 3 inches of canola oil into a large pot or dutch oven and heat to 325 degrees F.
  2. In a medium saucepot, combine pumpkin, brandy, water, brown sugar, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves and 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger. Cover and cook over medium low heat until the butter melts, stirring occasionally.
  3. While the butter melts, make spiced sugar by combining all ingredients and mixing well. 
  4. When butter melts, remove pot from stove and add in flour all at once; stir vigorously with wooden spoon until well combined. Return to heat and continue stirring until batter pulls from sides of pot, about 30-45 seconds. 
  5. Remove pot from heat and pour dough into large mixing bowl. Stir dough to cool.
  6. Once dough is sufficiently cool, add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition until all eggs are added and batter is well combined.
  7. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of batter into heated oil. Cook until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes on each side depending on heat of oil.
  8. Remove beignets from oil with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel lined plate to drain.
  9. While still warm, roll beignets through spiced sugar until well coated, remove to separate plate to cool.
  10. Serve and enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails