Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Crab and Artichoke Souffle


Okay. Here we are again with another souffle. This one did NOT cave in like the pumpkin souffle did.

I was really excited to try another souffle, and a savory one at that.

Originally I had wanted to have a souffle night where I would make this one and another one for dessert, but they are too much work for that.

However, I did conquer the souffle (I think). Aren't you proud of me??? I sure am! LOL!!

I have some other news to share with you. This is Jolts & Jollies 101st post. That means, I've shared 100 food type things.

That's pretty cool.

I always thought I'd do something incredibly special for the 100th post...but it came and went without my even realizing it.

Sad.

Oh well.

I will tell you all that I've been toying with the idea of changing things up around here. The more I learn and change through this blog, the more I want to change about the look. Maybe even the name.

But Jolts & Jollies is special to me. Maybe just adding "cafe" at the end of it?? Jolts & Jollies Cafe? Or just leave it the same? Who knows.

When I first started posting about food, I never knew how important this site and concept would be for me.

I have met some of the most amazing people through this blog. I may even meet one of them in person next month! How fun would that be???

Anyway. I want to say thank you.

Thank you for allowing me to learn.

Thank you for allowing me to grow.

Thank you for being there and moving through the journey with me.

Especially, thanks to those of you who have been there since the VERY beginning when I didn't even have a clue what this blog was about.

And thank you for letting me talk about souffles again!

Let's move on to this souffle. I'm so glad I did it!

Here we go.


Ingredients: unbleached all purpose flour, flaked crab, Gruyere cheese (I found an apple smoked Gruyere that was delicious!), tarragon (or chives), ground white pepper, cream of tartar, artichoke hearts, salt, milk, eggs, bread crumbs and non-stick cooking spray.

Please pay no attention to the cornstarch. I think I'm slowly losing my mind. That definitely has no part in this recipe.


Spray one large or 6 small ramekins with the cooking spray.


Coat each ramekin with bread crumbs. Place the prepared ramekins on a parchment lined baking sheet.


In a medium saucepan, melt the butter then whisk in the flour to make a roux, or paste. While stirring continuously slowly work in the milk. Add the herbs.


Then add the cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is good and melted and the mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat.

I don't have a picture of this step but in a small bowl, beat the egg yolks. Then take a bit of the cheese sauce and slowly add it to the egg yolks while continuously stirring so as not to cook the eggs. You just want to warm them. Then slowly add the egg mixture into the pan with the rest of the cheese sauce.


Now add the diced artichoke hearts and crab meat. Mix until combined.


In a mixing bowl, beat your egg whites (I added a pinch of cream of tartar to them to help them firm up) until stiff peaks form.


Working in 3 batches, gently fold the egg whites into the crab and artichoke mixture.


Evenly distribute the batter into the prepared ramekins. Place them in the prepared oven.


And bake until richly brown, about 25 minutes for the small ramekins.


Serve and enjoy!!

And rejoice that you made a souffle that didn't cave in before it was served! Woohoo!

Crab and Artichoke Souffle
Retrieved from The Daring Kitchen

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup (4 oz) crab meat, flaked and lightly-packed
  • ½ cup finely chopped cooked artichoke hearts (frozen, fresh or from a jar is OK, but please don’t use the marinated-in-oil style), Alternatively, lightly sautéed leeks would be nice here too.
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 3 large egg whites, room temperature
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 cup (2 ½ oz) Gruyere cheese, shredded
  • ½ teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 Tablespoon flour
  • 1 teaspoon dried chives or tarragon
  • 1 cup milk
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Additional butter and bread crumbs for preparing the dishes

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to moderate 375 ˚F
  2. Prepare dishes – you can use one 2-quart six 1-cup/240 ml soufflé dishes – by buttering the dish, then coating with bread crumbs. (You may have some left over soufflé mixture if you go with the smaller soufflé dishes.)
  3. Chop the artichoke hearts into ¼ inch dice. If you use frozen or from a jar, then there’s no need to cook them. If you are using fresh, then steam gently until just softened, about 5 minutes or sauté over low heat until just ever so lightly browned.
  4. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, then stir in the flour to make a roux. – you just want to get the flour evenly blended to a paste, not cook the roux for any length of time. 
  5. Gradually stir in the milk, mixing all the time. 
  6. Add herbs, then the cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and you have a thick sauce. Remove from heat.
  7. Beat the egg yolks well and gently warm them by adding some of the cheese sauce. Gradually stir the egg yolks into the cheese sauce until well blended.
  8. Add the artichoke and flaked crab meat to the cheese sauce.
  9. Beat the egg whites until at the stiff peak stage.
  10. Fold the whites in thirds into the sauce.
  11. Bake for 40 min if you’re using a large soufflé dish or 25 min if using smaller dishes – the soufflé should be richly browned.
  12. Serve and enjoy!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails