Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Loaf


I think I have a problem...

I have an addiction.

I think I need some kind of meeting to help me with this addiction.

Hello, my name is Maranda...

and I'm an addict.

I have an addiction to...

baking groups.

Yup. You heard me right.

I have an addiction to baking groups. When I see a new one that is available I just can't seem to say no.

I joined The Daring Bakers.

I created my own Facebook baking group.

Then...Monica posted about the Cake Slice Bakers.

Another baking group??? Sign me up!

I know I'm not the only one out there with this problem!

Am I??

Sadly, the Cake Slice Bakers option is closed to new members again. Maybe they will open it up once they finish out this new book. Until then, you can head over to the Cake Slice Blogroll to see how all the other members did with this cake.

Wait...what?? You want to know what the new book is?? It's Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman.

I know you are pretty sad right now about this group. But there is always The Daring Bakers! And if you aren't quite ready to tackle that...go ahead and join my Facebook Baking Group! We are always accepting new members.

So on to my very first cake with the Cake Slice Bakers. The chocolate chip pumpkin loaf.

I made this cake a the beginning of October. We were finally having a cool day and we were headed to a graduation party for The Hubble. I've been itching to bake with pumpkin and this is the first pumpkin treat I made this year!

This cake was excellent. I love the addition of the walnuts because they were unexpected. It gave the cake a little added texture. I have to admit though...this cake was MUCH better the next day. After everything settled and all the flavors married up.

Let's get baking!


Grab your ingredients: all purpose flour (I always use unbleached), baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ground cloves, nutmeg, unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk (forgot to put it in the picture), semi-sweet chocolate chips, walnuts, and pumpkin!!


Start by whisking together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a medium mixing bowl.

Let me warn you here. I think my camera was in the mood for pumpkin as well because every picture has an orange tinge to it. Weird.


Toss the sugar and the butter in a mixing bowl.


And cream it together on medium high speed (about 3 minutes). Scrape sides as necessary.


Reduce the mixer speed to medium low and add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.


Now add in the pumpkin, vanilla and the milk. I wondered at this point if the batter was supposed to look curdled like that but someone else asked about it too so I figure that's the way it's supposed to look.


Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix well and scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.


Stir in the nuts and the chocolate chips.


Pour the batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. Spread the top around to make sure it's all even. Then bake it up!


When a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (except for the melty chocolate of course) the cake is done! Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before cutting!


Now slice that bad boy up. Serve. And enjoy!!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Loaf
Retrieved from Cake Keeper Cakes

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used unbleached but either way is fine)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • pinch of ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat inside of 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray (I used Baker's Joy).
  2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a medium mixing bowl.
  3. Cream together butter and sugar on medium high until fluffy (about 3 minutes).
  4. Reduce mixer speed to medium low and add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. 
  5. Mix in pumpkin, vanilla and milk.
  6. Slowly add dry ingredients until well combined; scrape sides as needed.
  7. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
  8. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
  9. Bake 55 minutes to an hour or until cake is firm and toothpick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean.
  10. Cool in pan 5 minutes; invert onto cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
  11. Slice, serve and enjoy!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails