Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lemon Yogurt Cake


Do you ever sit back and look at your life and think how lucky you are?

I do.

I've realized in the last couple months that I am lucky.

Lately I have been super busy. If I'm not running errands, hanging with friends or taking care of Little Butt and The Hubble then I'm in the kitchen cooking, baking or cleaning.

Sometimes, time gets away from me and I'm not able to get on the computer and my poor little blog is left alone.

This happened last month and it happened last week. Luckily, I have made some great friends through the bloggiverse and they are more than willing to email me and kick my butt in gear check on me and make sure I'm okay. I am so grateful to you for being there and caring for me! Truly, I am so humbled by your thoughts!

Last week, my parents came to visit. I thought for sure I would have a chance to jump on the computer and update....but that obviously wasn't the case. Oops!

The visit was great! We had a baby shower, a chili cookoff and a fondue night. And naturally, I was asked to cook!

The main request from my mother were the infamous Gangsta Burgers. She scarfed down 2 burgers before anyone could even sit down!

Before the parental units left, I promised my sisters I would send some baked goods home with them. That way the whole family could enjoy something from my kitchen. I sent home a couple trays of white chocolate macadamia coconut congo bars and a loaf of this lemon yogurt bread.

I made this bread last month for my facebook baking group. My mother is a huge fan of lemon so she asked if I would make her some. I was happy to bake a loaf and send it away from my house.

This cake is tart and lemony and not too sweet. I really enjoyed it and my mother was extremely happy with it. In fact, she ate the last piece and my older sister was disappointed.

Here's how to make it:


Ingredients: flour, baking powder, plain yogurt, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, kosher salt, sugar, eggs and, of course, lemon.


Start by sifting together the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.


In a separate bowl, dump in the yogurt, 1 cup of sugar, the eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.


And whisk it all up until it's well incorporated.


Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet.


Until everything is nice and mixed together.


Now pour in the vegetable oil...


And gently fold it into the batter.


Pour the batter into a loaf pan and smooth out the top and toss it in the oven.


While the cake is cooking, toss the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar with 1/3 cup of lemon juice into a small saucepan.


Cook and stir frequently until all the sugar dissolves. Go ahead and set this aside...


Until the cake is done cooking. Let the cake cool in the pan on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes.


Remove the cake from the pan. Set on the cooling rack and place the cooling rack on top of a wax paper lined sheet pan. Slowly drizzle the lemon and sugar mixture over the top of the cake. The sauce should soak into the cake. Now allow to cool completely.


Once the cake is completely cooled, it's time for the glaze. Grab some powdered sugar and lemon juice.


Stir up the ingredients until you get a pourable glaze, then slowly pour it over the top of your cake.


Allow the glaze to set. Sadly, mine didn't turn out too pretty...


But it sure tasted good! Slice and enjoy!!

Lemon Yogurt Cake
Slightly adapted from Ina Garten

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

For the cake:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
  • 3 extra-large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze:

  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. 
  2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. 
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. 
  4. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. 
  5. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. 
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean. (If the edges are browning faster than the middle is cooking, cover with foil and cook until the center is done)
  7. Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
  8. When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a wax paper lined sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
  9. For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.
  10. Allow the glaze to set, slice and enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails