Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Daring Bakers July 2010: Swiss Swirl Ice Cream Cake


Well it's that time of the month again! Time to reveal the month's Daring Bakers Challenge!

The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.


Sunita did not have many requirements for us Daring Bakers this month. However, we were required to make everything from scratch. What we did have to do was to make a swiss roll with cream, two types of ice cream, and a fudge sauce. Haha! And I said there weren't many requirements!


I was inspired by my favorite ice cream. Sadly, my favorite ice cream has been discontinued. It was Starbucks Coffee Almond Fudge ice cream and it was amazing. So I tried to make an ice cream cake with a similar taste.


The swiss roll cake was chocolate, the cream in the swiss roll was almond flavored. Then I made an almond ice cream, the fudge as per Sunita's recipe and a coffee ice cream. I made this cake the first weekend after we found out about the challenge.

Have you ever made ice cream without an ice cream maker? Well, I have...now.

Let's talk about how things went for me. First off, I made the cake in the wrong pan so ended up having to pretty much throw out the first one. There was WAY too much cream for the cake and I think I filled it too full.


Making the almond ice cream without an ice cream maker was not as difficult as I thought it would be. However, when I made the fudge sauce, I didn't give it enough time to cool and it melted right into the almond ice cream. And apparently, I chose a bowl that was too small so I ended up having to scoop out a ton of almond ice cream to be able to fit the coffee ice cream. As you can see, the coffee ice cream didn't really set that well. And, in my brilliance, I tried to use coffee grounds as I would have used cocoa powder and let me tell you...that doesn't work. It gave the ice cream great coffee flavor, but the ground don't dissolve...at all.

I served this cake at a friend's house. The kitchen was about 1,000 degrees that night and she had forgotten to buy disposable plates. So we pulled dishes hot right out of the dishwasher. Do you know what that does to an ice cream cake?? Yup. This:


LOL! Oh well. I fed it to a bunch of soldiers and not one of them complained! It was flavorful and very rich. And as always, it was definitely a learning experience.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Sunita for bringing such an awesome challenge to us Daring Bakers and allowing us to put our own spin on the dish. I highly recommend you go check out the other Daring Bakers and see what they came up with. There were some really great interpretations of this dessert! You can check out the blogroll or The Daring Kitchen main page.

If you are interested in making this cake, you can find the recipe here.
Related Posts with Thumbnails