Friday, July 16, 2010

Butterscotch scones


 I feel as though I've had a number of savory posts lately and that they far outweigh the sweet posts. Some of you may be thinking that I never bake anymore. Well, that's not true. I do bake. But I seem to be baking my way through The Pioneer Woman's site/cookbook and I don't post those because she does a far superior job than I ever could.

Therefore, the chocolate sheet cake that I made and devoured last night will not be mentioned. And while we are not on the subject, I won't bother to mention that it was one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten in my entire life. Nope. I won't say that at all. And I'm also not going to tell you I made it from start to finish in about half an hour. You definitely won't get any of that out of me.


What you will get me to talk about today is butterscotch scones. And let me put the emphasis on butter here. These things were buttery! If I made these again I would definitely add in the entire bag of butterscotch scones to give them a little more sweetness.

Now don't get me wrong. I love butter. I've been told that when I was little I would sit under the dining room table and just go to town on a tub of butter. I know...gross right?? What can I say?? I was little!

But now, these scones proved to be a bit of a match for me. A bit too buttery for me.

I made these to enjoy with coffee at a friend's house. She enjoyed them tremendously. And her husband, while stuffing the fourth scone down his gullet, has proclaimed that I am never again allowed to take food to their house. Ever.

Are you ready to make these? Let's go...


Ingredients: brown sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, heavy cream, an egg, and of course...butter.


Start by sifting together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt...


Into a large mixing bowl.


Take some cold butter, dice it up and toss it into the sifted mixture.


Use your fingers to press the butter into the mixture until it is all thoroughly mixed and kind of crumbly.


Add in your butterscotch chips. Like I said, I would use the whole bag instead of just the cup at this point.


Mix the chips into the batter.


In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and egg.


Slowly add it to the batter while tossing with a fork to mix.


The recipe calls for you to just drop the batter onto a cookie sheet but I chose to pat it out into a round cake like thing and cut them into triangles. Then pop them in the oven.


And bake them.


When they are done, let them cool on a wire rack.


Serve with coffee, a good friend, a great conversation and enjoy!!

Butterscotch Scones
Slightly adapted from Bon Appetit

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
  • 1 cup (6 oz) butterscotch chips (If you would like them sweeter, use the entire 12oz bag of chips)
  • 1/2 cup (or more) chilled heavy cream
  • 1 large egg 
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Sift together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder into large mixing bowl.
  3. Add butter, press with fingers until well mixed and crumbly.
  4. Mix in chips.
  5. In small bowl, whisk together cream and egg.
  6. Gradually add cream mixture to dry mixture while tossing with a fork until dough comes together in moist clumps. (add more cream by teaspoonful if dough is too dry)
  7. Form batter into round disk, cut into triangles; place on baking sheet.
  8. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown and tester comes out clean.
  9. Serve warm or at room temperature, enjoy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails