Monday, December 14, 2009

Wilton Cake Class #2

My cake class on Thursday was really fun but getting there was the problem!

I decided to bake all my xmas gifts this year AND join a cake decorating class at the same time. The class is 4 sessions. The first class is purely instruction. However, the next 3 classes are 'hands on' so we have to bring a pre-frosted cake to those 3 classes. No big deal right? Well this class, instead of being the normal 4 weeks long, is jammed into 2 weeks because of the holidays. That means that when we got home Tuesday night after we bought all our stuff, we needed to have a cake baked and frosted by Thursday's class. Of course we procrastinated until Thursday because I was baking so many xmas goodies. The frosting took a while to make. The cake wasn't baked evenly and I had trouble cutting it. Also, there was a lip around the edge of the cake that made sure I had to cut half of it off to level the top. Blah!

Then there was the frosting. I achieved wonderful consistency for the frosting but I decided to color it blue, which took longer. My pressure isn't that great so I had trouble squeezing the frosting out of the bag for the sides. Then, we had to color tons of icing for the class in different colors. It took me half an hour to get the frosting even slightly red (and a whole 1/2 oz container of coloring). However, for my hard work, everyone in class kept exclaiming how great our red was and some people even had bright pink instead of red. I felt extremely accomplished then.

My stepmom and I, by the time we were done with our cakes and the frosting, ended up snapping at each other because we were so tired and frustrated and only had an hour to shower and get ready before we had to run out the door to make it to class.

We got to class and learned how to pipe icing and do lines and stars and script. We even started practicing our rose bases. We found out when we got there that we were missing a ton of stuff but luckily I'm pretty talkative and some ladies shared their stuff with us. Anyway. Our first project was a rainbow cake. Though you can't really tell that my frosting is blue, here is my sad little first cake that I've ever decorated:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love hearing from my readers so please leave me a comment! I can't wait to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails