Monday, May 23, 2011

Sweet Apple and Onion Stuffed Pork Chops


I have to tell you something.

As a self proclaimed foodie I'm rather ashamed of this...

But I'm going to tell you anyway. Because you are my friends right??

Okay...here goes.

I'm a fairly timid cook.

I said it!

When I started this blog, I knew that I wasn't very creative. But that hasn't stopped me from being able to share great food with you all.

I have found many great dishes to share with my family and friends throughout this bloggy world.

However, I think that having this blog is making me more...adventurous? Creative? Something.

I want to be able to walk into a grocery store or market, pick up and item and come up with an amazing dish in my head that centers from this one ingredient.

When we moved here to Austin and I ventured into my first HEB Plus, I walked by the butcher and saw these gorgeous boneless pork tenderloin chops. I couldn't help but to purchase them. They were practically screaming at me!

So I chatted with the butcher a bit and secured my lovely chops into my cart.

I carried that brown paper wrapped package of meat as tenderly as a birthday present. And I pretty much thought of it as such.

I came home and started wracking my brain trying to figure out what I was going to do with these luscious chops.

It just so happened that my friend The Chef called that night and I was telling her how badly I wished she was here so she could help me figure out what to do with these bad boys. Her immediate response was "stuff 'em!! Anything that thick and lovely should be stuffed!"

My brain quickly went into overdrive and I started thinking about my favorite flavor combination with pork: onions and apples. But I also love sweet, red apples with Vermont Sharp White Cheddar cheese.

It sounded like a winner to me! But I was sure The Hubble would veto the idea...the man hates cheese! I know, I know...how have we stayed married this long? Well, I just figure that means more cheese for me!

Anyway. I digress. So I told The Hubble about my conversation with The Chef and my resulting idea. He thought it sounded like a winner too! So I set to work!

This is the first time I have ever stuffed meat that wasn't a Thanksgiving turkey. And let me tell you, it was fun! LOL!

I threw together a quick stuffing and crossed my fingers as they made their way to the grill.

At one point, some of the stuffing fell out onto the grill. Of course, The Hubble and I set upon it like vultures. After that nibble I knew dinner would be off the hook that night!

And I was right! These things were freaking amazing. They were juicy and tender. The stuffing was sweet and subtle. The perfect compliment to the lightly seasoned pork chop.

Seriously, looking at these pictures and talking about these pork chops is making me hungry all over again.

And! I'm pleased to say, I was inspired to create my own recipe! Maybe I'm on my way after all.

So now, it's up to you to go make these and love them as much as we did...because I know you will. You don't believe me?? Try it for yourself! Here's how:


Let's start by sauteing up some onion...


And tossing in some apple. This is the delicious base to our stuffed pork chops!


Melt some butter in a bowl and toss in the bread crumbs. Stir them up until the bread crumbs are well coated in butter.


Now mix in the apple and onion.


And, of course, the cheese!


Now slice your chop, NOT all the way through...just create a sort of pocket. Then stuff those bad boys full of the bread crumb mixture.


Now seal them up with toothpicks. Spray each side with nonstick cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.


Toss them on the grill and cook them until the juices run clear, about 20-25 minutes.


Once cooked, place the chops on a cutting board and let them rest for about 5 minutes. Remove the toothpicks.


Serve them up with some veggies of your choice and enjoy!!!

Sweet Apple and Onion Stuffed Pork Chops

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

  • 6 boneless pork tenderloin chops, at least 1 1/2-2 inches thick
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 medium apple, diced (I used a red apple)
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian style)
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used Vermont Sharp Cheddar)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Add the diced onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the diced apple and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
  4. In a medium mixing bowl, melt the butter then add the bread crumbs and toss to coat.
  5. To the bread crumb mixture, mix in the onion and apple.
  6. Add the shredded cheese and mix to thoroughly combine.
  7. Slice the pork chops lengthwise leaving about 1/2 an inch on one side still in tact. 
  8. Stuff pork chops with bread crumb mixture. Secure with toothpicks
  9. Spray each side of the pork chops with nonstick cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.
  10. Grill the pork chops (or cook on a skillet) until the juices run clear, about 20-25 minutes.
  11. Remove from the grill and let rest about 5 minutes. 
  12. Remove toothpicks.
  13. Serve and enjoy!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails