Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pork Tocino


I was reading a blog recently...please don't ask me which one because I don't remember how I found it...and I came across another blog called Table for 2....or more. On this blog was a recipe that looked absolutely to die for!

Naturally, I had to make it. I mean, first of all...it's pork. Secondly, it's like barbecued pork. Third of all...it's pork!

Traditionally, this meal is served with eggs for a breakfast dish but I wanted it for dinner. So that's what I did. I made it for dinner.

Luckily, we were having dinner guests so I knew exactly what I would serve! However, I then read the recipe and realized the pork needed at least a 48 hour marinade time so I had to push the dinner party from Wednesday to Friday but no one complained once they took their first bites! And what better to serve with pork tocino than Baked Alaska for dessert?!?!?

Now, the original recipe was kind of small so I adapted it to a larger hunk of meat and more people. I'm glad I did too because The Hubble and I fought over the leftovers the next day. And that was after the 4 of us the night before each had seconds. This makes quite a bit but you won't be sorry.

Let's get to it.


Ingredients: Pork shoulder, brown sugar, low sodium soy sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper, ketchup, coke or pepsi and pineapple juice.


Don't forget! You need to do this at least 2 days prior to serving this meal!

Start by slicing your pork shoulder (fat and all) into slices or thin strips. I went with the thin strip but I've seen them fatter. Place them in a ceramic baking dish.


In a large bowl we are going to make the marinade. Start with the pineapple juice.


Add in the coke.


Dump in the ketchup.


And the soy sauce. Notice it's not quite a cup.


Now add in the brown sugar.


The garlic powder.


The salt.


And the pepper.


And whisk it all together until all the dry ingredients dissolve and everything is well combined.


Now pour the marinade over the pork shoulder strips. Cover tightly and place in the refrigerator for at least 48 hours or up to 5 days.


After the pork is nice and flavorful, dump the meat and marinade into a large pot and cook it on high heat until boiling.


In batches, remove the meat from the pot with tongs and place into a large skillet. Grab some of the sauce from the pot and pour it over the meat. Pan fry the meat and sauce until the sauce thickens and the meat is well cooked.


Then serve and enjoy! I served mine with regular white sticky rice and spinach. But you can have it with eggs the next morning as well! Yum!!!


Pork Tocino
Adapted from Table for 2....or more

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:
  • 6 lb pork shoulder
  • 2 1/2 cups pineapple juice
  • 1 1/3 cups coke or pepsi
  • 1 1/3 cups ketchup
  • Just under 1 cup of low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 Tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 1/2 Tablespoons salt
  • 3 teaspoons ground black pepper
Directions:
  1. 48 hours in advance, slice the pork shoulder and place in ceramic baking dish.
  2. Make the marinade: Whisk together pineapple juice, coke, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
  3. Pour marinade over meat making sure meat is well covered by the sauce.
  4. Cover tightly and refrigerate no less than 48 hours and up to 5 days.
  5. When ready to cook, pour meat and marinade into large sauce pot and cook on high until boiling.
  6. In batches, move meat from pot to skillet using tongs and cook until sauce reduces and thickens and meat cooks thoroughly, about 5-7 minutes. 
  7. Serve and enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails