Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lower Fat Banana Nut Bread


I have this thing for banana nut bread. I would pretty much lather myself in it if I could. But I think it might get a bit messy. Though I love banana nut bread, I can't eat it as often as I would like. Because I would like to eat it every day all day long. But alas, I would like to fit into my clothing so I better not eat it that often.

A couple years ago I found a lower fat version of my beloved banana nut bread and I've been making and enjoying it ever since. The other day, when I found I had some overly ripe bananas, I decided it was time to make some of my favorite banana nut bread. So here we go...


First up...ingredients. Sugar, milk, flour, butter, sour cream, bananas, salt, eggs, baking soda, and nuts (apparently I am really nuts so pay no attention to the fact that the nuts aren't actually present in this photo).


Dump the sugar and butter in a bowl.


And cream them together.


Toss your bananas in a bowl.


And smush them with the back of a spoon.


Dump your smushed bananas in with the butter and sugar.


Toss in the sour cream.


And the eggs and milk.


And mix it all up.


In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.


Dump that into the banana, sugar, butter mixture.


Mix it up until it's all combined.


Now dump in your nuts.


And gently fold them in.


Spray your loaf pan.


And pour in your batter. Then toss it in the oven.


When it's done cooking, place it on a cooling rack in the pan to cool for about 10-15 minutes.


While it's still warm, cut off a hunk...


Or two...


If you are like me and have a crazy obsession with butter, go ahead and spread a healthy amount of butter on your still warm bread.


And enjoy!!!

Banana Nut Bread
Adapted From Cooking Light

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/4 cup fat-free milk
  • 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
  • 2 large eggs 
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions:
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cream together butter and sugar in a bowl.
  3. Add banana, sour cream, egg, and milk to butter and sugar mixture, mix until well blended.
  4. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda in separate bowl.
  5. Add flour mixture to banana mixture, blend until fully combined.
  6. Spray one 9x5 inch loaf pan or 4 5x2 1/2 inch loaf pans with baking spray.
  7. Cook 9x5 inch loaf for 1 hour 10 minutes or the small loaves for 45 minutes.
  8. Cool on wire rack in pan 10-15 minutes.
  9. Remove from pans, serve and enjoy! 
Related Posts with Thumbnails