Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Simple Restaurant Style Salsa


Do you ever have one of those weeks? You know the ones...the ones where you feel like you haven't stopped running and you can't remember when the last time you had a moment to yourself was...

Yeah. That has been me lately.

I have never had a social calendar as full as is my current calendar. In between coffees, storytimes, game nights, cookouts, dinner parties, and my new obsession with Keeping up with the Kardashians I just have not had a moment to relax.

So what says relaxation (and summer) than a fresh batch of salsa??? I can't think of anything else!

I love salsa. Sadly, I've never found a super good jarred salsa. Luckily, I have this book called America's Most Wanted Recipes. I was extremely excited the day I found out this book had the recipe for Chili's salsa. I pretty much had to make it right away.

I've made this recipe several times and have changed a few things within the recipe just slightly but it is oh so good. It's so good that last night at game night I made and jarred some for some friends. They are almost out of salsa already!!

Do you want to know how to make it?? It's easy! You just need a food processor and me to guide you. Let's go!


First up! Grab your ingredients: a can of whole peeled tomatoes, a can of rotel, garlic salt, ground cumin, sugar, onion, jalapeno (jarred or fresh), and cilantro.


Peel and quarter your onion...


And toss it in your food processor.


Now take you jalapeno and chop off both ends...


Then slice up the jalapeno.


And toss it into the food processor with the onion.


Pulse, pulse, pulse until the onion and jalapeno are nicely diced.


Now toss in the can of whole peeled tomatoes (juice and everything).


Now dump in the rotel.


Take a handful or so (depends on how much you like the flavor) of the cilantro and toss that in too.


Now add in the garlic salt...


Ground cumin...


And sugar.


Pulse, pulse, then whirrrrrrrrrrrr....until it is all processed and pureed. You can process it as little or as much as you like depending on your chunkiness likes and dislikes.


And don't forget to taste it to see if anything needs to be added. Yum!

Simple Restaurant Style Salsa
Adapted from America's Most Wanted Recipes by Ron Douglas

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 to 2 jalapenos, depending on taste (or use 1 to 2 Tablespoons jarred sliced Jalapeno)
  • 1 can whole peeled tomatoes 
  • 1 can rotel
  • 1 handful cilantro 
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
Directions:
  1. Peel and quarter onion; put in food processor.
  2. Slice jalapeno; add into food processor with onion.
  3. Pulse until onion and jalapeno are well diced. 
  4. Add can of whole peeled tomatoes, can of rotel, cilantro, garlic salt, ground cumin and sugar to food processor.
  5. Puree until salsa reaches desired chunkiness. 
  6. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails